In times of kings, knights and counts, the entire area was a frontier between the Arab and Christian worlds. This is why you can find amazing castles in the Costa Brava that still preserve their medieval character and are still protected by their walls and other ruins. So, are you ready to travel back in time? This is our top 5 Castles in the province of Girona/Costa Brava.

Castle of Peralada in Peralada

A first castle was the seat of the medieval dynasty of the viscounts of Peralada, started by Berenguer, son of Ponce I, count of Empúries. During the French invasion of the Empordà, in the course of the crusade against Catalonia led by Philip III of France, the castle and the nearby buildings were set on fire and destroyed. The remains of these original structure are in the upper part of the town. A new castle was built in the mid-13th century outside the line of the new walls.

Castle La Trinitat in Roses

Situated as a lookout in the Poncella point, above the lighthouse of Roses. This military construction, which dates from 1544, was built under the reign of Emperor Charles V, who placed the first stone. It has an irregular shape starry floor. Overall the fort was divided into three floors of terraces where there were premises to house 350 men, food and ammunition.

Castle Port de la Selva

The town has many must-see sights such as the monastery of Sant Pere de Rodes, the Church of St. Helena or the ruins of the castle of Sant Salvador (670 meters), the highest point of the village.

Castle of Palamós

The territory of the town of Palamos was purchased in 1277 by King Peter the Great (III of Aragon), as a term of the castle of Sant Esteve de Mar, which some remains are preserved in the eastern sector of the Fosca beach.

Castle of Sant Joan in Blanes

The castle stands at the top of the mountain of the same name at 172 metres, offering an amazing view of Blanes and the neighbouring villages. The structure of the castle consists of a cylindrical tower of 15 metres surrounded by a moat and a rectangular walled area. Documented as early as 1002, it was called Forcadell.

CompartirShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Print this page